Our Service Programs
Soroptimists throughout the world serve their local communities and throughout the world. Service to our community is the primary goal for members of SI Carson City. Throughout the year our members raise funds, donate time and money, and participate in hands-on activities to help women and children in the greater Carson City area. We also partner with other local organizations to serve those in need. Some of those organizations, such as Volunteer Attorneys for Rural Nevada (VARN) and Court-Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), got their start as SICC programs that outgrew our ability to manage. We are proud to see them continue serving our community, and continue to help
Our Committees and Programs of Service
Soroptimist started in 1921 in Oakland,California. It has now grown to an international organization with clubs in more than 120 countries. Its members are women working in, or retired from, a position of business management or professional responsibility. Our mission is to improve the lives of women and girls in our own communities, and around the world. Our Carson City club was chartered in 1957. Our members have been volunteering time, money and effort ever since. We do this through our three Service Committees:
- Many higher education Scholarship awards - for nursing, education, trade & industry, technology, and culinary arts majors.
- The Live Your Dream Award, for a woman head of household looking to improve her life through education
- The Girl of the Month Program recognizes local high school senior girls for leadership, community service, and volunteerism; and awarding a Girl of the Year Scholarship
Many of our Scholarships are funded through endowments bequeathed to us by late members, their families, and others in our local community. We are grateful to the families of Marge Patterson, Doreen Fitzhenry, Betty Kopfhammer, Sally Landis, Sandy Howard, Mary Coffey, Faralee Spell, Margaret Hersey, BK Alexander, and many others that believe in our mission of providing education opportunities for women.Service Committee
- Our Breast Cancer Awareness and Early Detection Program provides funding for mammograms, and subsequent biopsies when necessary, for un- and under-insured women in Carson City and the surrounding rural areas.
- The Ruby Award recognizes non-Soroptimist volunteers in our community.
- Grant funds are distributed to local non-profits and international organizational programs.
- The Adopt-A-Senior program benefits home-bound seniors in the Meals on Wheels program, working through the Carson City Senior Center.
Whole Child Committee
- The Backpack Attack Program provides school and hygiene supplies at the beginning of the school year to at-risk elementary, middle and high school students.
- The Holiday Cheer program provides Christmas presents for children in foster care.
- In the planning stages: The Dream It * Be It program, to provide career information, role models, and resources to girls in secondary schools to aid in their becoming strong, successful, and happy adults.
To accomplish these programs, we often ask for help and donations from the community, plus host our major fundraiser:
- The Stroke to Help Golf Tournament, held the last weekend in September.
Volunteers are so important, and help in a variety of ways even though they may not be members. Their contributions of time, money, and effort are appreciated at our fundraisers and program events. Financial donations are gratefully accepted any time of year. Your donation can improve the lives of local women and girls through our Scholarship, Service, and Grants Programs. Let us know if there is an area of service of particular interest to you, and THANK YOU!Soroptimist International of Carson City is a IRS recognized tax-exempt 501 (c)(3) nonprofit corporation (Federal Tax ID # 88-6004357), formed and operating in the State of Nevada and registered with the Nevada Secretary of State. The organization’s primary purposes are to promote and aid charitable, educational, scientific and other exclusively charitable or public endeavors that promote the advancement of women through volunteer service to the community, to serve as a global voice on issues of importance to women, and to engage in any other lawful activities that further the exempt purpose of the Club. Your donation may be tax deductible pursuant to the provisions of section 170(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, 26 U.S.C. § 170(c).